The tragic death of actor Anton Yelchin came as a shock to anyone who had the pleasure of knowing him. Yelchin was known primarily for his role as Chekov in the newest Star Trek films.
Unfortunately, the accident involving his Jeep Grand Cherokee seems to point to a design flaw in the new gear shifter. The electronic shifter is a newer feature that many Jeep owners have complained about.
These shifters are hard to use and it is difficult to tell if the car is in “park” mode. This video from Consumer Reports explains the electric gear shift.
After many accidents and injuries, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) recalled the Jeep. This problem was first flagged last August by regulators, so why has nothing been done about it?
6 Important Facts About Jeep’s Recall and Anton Yelchin’s Death
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles recalled Jeeps like the one driven by Anton Yelnich in April.
- FCA was aware of the issues that caused the recall yet took over one year to implement it.
- The New York Times has reported that there isn’t a fix for the recall as of yet.
- FCA admitted to underreporting deaths and injuries to regulators.
- FCA recently acknowledged delaying recalls affecting more than 11 million vehicles.
- The rollaway issues that have caused the recall have caused over 100 reported crashes and 30 injuries to date. [Read more…] about 6 Important Facts About Jeep’s Recall and Anton Yelchin’s Death